Friday, August 20, 2010

Ten ways to Discover new music


It is often difficult to discover new music. I listen to music all the time; at home, at work, in your car, even sometimes to help me sleep. But without the ability to find new music, I soon would get bored of the same old playlists. I have tried various methods in the years to expand my musical taste, so hopefully some of these may be useful to another.

1) BBC iPlayer radio

Now I am not a big fan of everything played on mainstream radio stations, including BBC them, but I enjoy really well by using the BBC iPlayer Radio. Annoyingly present THE BBC has a habit of putting all is niche shows on a stupids hours of the day when no one listens, but with the iPlayer lets you simple pick all these shows from the last 7 days and re-list to it on your PC.

2) Music shop latest releases

I find my local music shops pretty uninspiring times, but the stop not me walking in to check out the new releases, and staff recommendations stand.They can only have a handful of CDs in them at a time, but every few weeks I want to go in, inside scoop up a copy of each CD and strolling a listening position to review my choice.

3) last.FM

There are many social music sites about, but I seem to have made most use of last.fm.et simple plug-in for iTunes allows it to monitor all the music I listen to on my PC and iPod, and transmits data to the last.FM website. It is very interesting to be able to see some statistics on your listening habits, but it's most useful feature is the ability to view the listening habits of people who considered statistically similar to you.You can review your musical neighbors, looking out for the band, as they listen to, but you are not familiar with, and then even listen to sample tracks of them by using the built in music player.

4) pandora.com

Pandora is a music service, which guided recommendation allows you to input a band or track you enjoy, and it will build you a radio station of similar music for you to listen to. I used Pandora for about a year until sadly the service was limited to only be available in the United States, although many similar services have popped up since, such as a Lama.

5) go to concerts

Will experience a band you love live is fantastic, but often it is easy to underestimate the supporting bands. Support bands tend to be up and coming, or local bands you normally would run into, so is a great source of new sounds.

6) Intercept a music magazine

I must admit, I often don't buy music magazines, as I find the articles a waste of time; it sounds may be cheap, but often stores in wish to pick up a copy of the Kerrang or NME, and flip through to see new releases, have a quick read and then return it to the shelf.I note the mental Ribbon and then watch them up later on the Internet, when I get home.

7) iTunes

I frequently use the iTunes store to search for and listen to samples of bands I exploration, such as those I found on last.fm.du can only have the possibility to listen to short samples, but iTunes catalog is vast, which means that you have had a good chance of finding what you're looking for. once in a blue moon I even buy using the store, which I am damn impatient, and can not wait for a CD to be shipped.

8) Magnatune

I discovered the Magnatune at work where I use a based Ubuntu Linux box for my daily tasks; the latest version of Rhythmbox, which ships with the operating system has been integrated with Service Magnatune. Magnatune provides the opportunity to listen to all the free music, and even buy songs using a "Pay what you deem fair" system. music is not very mainstream, but choosing a bunch of tracks and play them at random keeps me entertained.

9) put you MP3 player random

I have a great MP3 collection, as the game start to end, would stretch over several weeks. it is very easy to find you have you hardly ever or never listen to music on your player. Put random, can often help your rediscover some hidden gems.

10) Ask your friends

Do not under estimate your friends or colleagues, even if they seem to have lame taste in music. it is good to take interest in what other people are listening to, since it helps you to diversify your listening habits and explore something you would normally listen to.








Hugh Gallagher writes to stupidfaqer.co.uk-Discover new music [http://www.stupidfaqer.co.uk/entertainment/]


No comments:

Post a Comment